Thursday, January 14, 2016

Life in the Coffee Fields

Hello world! We are on day 20 of outreach, and it's going so quickly. Our team is staying at Strong Missions, and it's so great here. The director has cool connections, and he's been keeping us busy. 

We've done three types of ministry:

1) School hangs. 

We got connected with a school close to where we stay. We went there one day with the intent of sharing some Jesus-love with kids, but only three showed up!! Haha. I think those three felt loved at least. :)

2) Children's home. 

Strong Ministries is involved in an orphanage-type of home here in San Isidro where kids who are the least likely to be adopted live and become family. We basically took two rooms in the house that had been used for storage and made them into bedrooms for the kids. I loved it. 

3) Manual labor. 

Strong Missions bought land they want to build on so they don't have to rent the space they currently use anymore. The problem is, the land is covered in coffee plants. So our team goes out three days a week to harvest coffee beans (the profits of which they use to feed kids in the area) and remove the coffee plants. It's hard work and a little bit overwhelming.

If I'm honest, I hated this work for the first week. I wanted to be out sharing Jesus with people, not in the fields getting sweaty and gross. But one of the other girls on our team who felt the same way shared that God showed her that what we're doing is a step towards building a property that will lead people to Jesus someday, and if we weren't out doing this work, who would do it?

I prayed on Sunday night for a change of heart. I didn't want to go out grudgingly, but with a joyful heart. And when I woke up on Monday I was actually excited to go work! It's been a cool week of spending that time with God and having good conversations with my DP family, and I actually kind of enjoy it now. Aside from the grueling uphill walk back home. My calves are looking good though.. I won't lie. ;)

We were given scrubs to wear in the fields so we wouldn't get eaten by bugs. The locals think we're nurses until they spot us on our walk back after working.  
Shahnee picking coffee beans, looking way too cute.
Inga, Audrey, and Me posing with the coffee plants during our first day of picking. 
Little stickers attack me more than anyone else. I don't know if it's the material or if I'm just a messy picker. 
Inga recently discovered her love for the machete. She hasn't cut any limbs off of herself yet, but the trees have seen better days. 
Josh and I team up to dig out roots. He chops through the roots with his sharp shovel and I pry it from the ground. Since I have weak arms, I end up rolling around in the dirt trying to use all muscles in my body to get them out. It's so fun. 
And rewarding. 
And this is me after a dirt war on the property. I get pretty dirty, but it doesn't usually reach my head. 

1 comment:

  1. You have an awesome servants heart. Keep up the good ministry Alyssa. Crystal and I love you and are proud of you.
    Gary

    ReplyDelete